Constipation in kids is a prevalent problem. It also interferes with potty training and makes the process hard for some kids. Constipation is a digestive issue defined in many ways, like passing hard stool or less than three bowel movements in a week.
Constipation and Potty Training: If the child passes poop every day, it doesn’t mean they don’t have constipation. Constipation can happen with any kid. It comes from the child’s diet or from withholding poop during potty training. So it is essential to resolve constipation before implementing any potty training method on the child.
How to fix it? Natural/Self Treatment
- Changes in diet: Add lots of fibre to the diet in the form of wholemeal grains, fruits or vegetables
- Prevent dehydration: Children stay hydrated all the time
Sources of Hydration:
Plain Water: Water in any form is the best source of hydration. Always encourage a child to drink the water. Some best ways of encouragement are:
- Use different types of tumblers and cups
- Colour changing cups
- Offer flavoured water by adding some leftover fruits to the water like strawberries, lemons, lime and many more.
- Offer them a straw to drink water.
Coconut water: Another good source to prevent dehydration or keep hydration in the kid is coconut water(Fresh).
Lime/lemon water: Add some fresh lime /lemon in water with mint leaves, black pepper, and sugar(Optional). A great drink in summer to help in digestion and prevent constipation.
Buttermilk/lassi: Mix white plain yoghurt and water and blend it. Add Fruits, salt and pepper (optional)- a popular drink in summer to prevent dehydration in India.
Coconut fruit Smoothies: Fruit smoothies are also great for fixing constipation.
- Add Probiotics to the child’s diets like yoghurt, kefir or fruits like watermelon, grapefruit etc.
- Add healthy fats to the child’s diet like avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds.
Some foods help to make children poop
- Soaked Raisins
- Steamed Pears
- Buckwheat Pancake
- Warm Water/Warm Milk